Wednesday, March 21, 2012

In what other profession indeed!

Just a little mini rant.  I have been thinking about David Reber's article in the Topeka Examiner.

In what other profession are the licensed professionals considered the LEAST knowledgeable about the job? ...In what other profession is experience viewed as a liability rather than an asset? ...In what other profession is the desire for competitive salary viewed as proof of callous indifference towards the job? ...And if teachers dare ask for a raise, this is taken by many as clear evidence that teachers don’t give a porcupine’s posterior about kids. In fact, some say if teachers really cared about their students they would insist on earning LESS money....If that entire attitude weren’t bad enough, what other profession is legally held to PERFECTION by 2014? 

In what other profession indeed.  However, as a 6th year teacher in California who has been laid off every single year of my teaching career (after enduring only one layoff in my 20 years in hi-tech), I've been thinking about adding a few more..


In what other profession so people get laid off three months before their last day, while expecting them to be productive, inspiring, and engaging, working long hours and weekends, all the while knowing they don't have a job soon? While I don't want only two weeks notice, I do expect some appreciation for the fact that I come to work with a smile on my face every day.

In what other profession are employees retained almost solely based on seniority while passionate, talented and in many cases excellent "young" employees are let go? I am not saying experience doesn't matter, it does! I am a better teacher now than I was 5 years ago.  But there are some people who are in the profession that simply shouldn't be, but our system is broken.

In what other profession would someone question whether you know how to do your job?  Do you see the credential, the hours of continuous professional development, the masters degrees?  Yes, I am qualified and quite good, thank you.  Now, if I just knew where I was teaching next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment